Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Politics











I'm a combination of these political/radio personalities...
Dennis Prager being my favorite








It seems the political season is just beginning...things I'm sure will get pretty interesting in the next 18 months. In many ways I am a political "junkie" as is Tim. I used to subscribe to The Weekly Standard and read it cover to cover in a day. I followed all things political very closely.


Now? Not so much. I found it wasn't good for my health. I told Tim that as I was likely the impetus for him converting to Catholicism that he has made a convert out of me as well. He converted me to political cynicism. Tim lights up when the intro music for Meet the Press comes on...he makes sure he's home in time to watch all the debates (we watched the republican candidates recently). But, ultimately he doesn't trust ANY of them "as far as he could throw them" as they say. I used to be a believer. I voted for Alan Keyes here in Illinois. I had yard signs and bumper stickers...Now I feel that I put to much hope in men and I lean much more heavily on my faith for the answers.


Still, I do love a good debate/argument. I'd describe myself as a Catholic first, an American second. I guess I'd fail the "allegiance test". Oh well! I believe that people are ignorant and apathetic for the most part. Unless that changes the status quo remains. I don't see it changing either. As long as people can go to the store and buy buy buy and drive around their cars and "have fun" when they want to, they don't see a need to make any radical changes. Politicians go on blabbing about the same crap - "a shining city on a hill" "the children are our future" "fix social security" "every child needs to be insured" "we need more educational/school funding" "I'm personally opposed but..." blah blah blah...


Tim's convinced that a Hillary/Obama ticket will run away with the 2008 election. I hate to say it but I think he might be right. It doesn't look good for conservatives. It especially doesn't look good for the unborn, traditional marriage, or a strong defense. But, maybe a real mess, a whole lot of suffering, PAIN is what's needed to wake up a sleeping nation. Just maybe things have got to get a whole lot worse before the masses come home from the malls and start paying attention to what REALLY matters! Didn't JPII say something like "as the family goes, so goes the nation, and the whole world in which we live"? Enough said!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a question - I can't quite tell if the crying pope in the picture is B16 or JPII. I find the picture moving. What was he crying about?

kris said...

It is JPII. But I don't think he is crying. I believe he is justpraying very hard... I have so many JPII pics I've collected from all over the place that I can't remember which came from where anymore...sorry I couldn't be more help. - Kris

John R.P. Russell said...

I love it. Your politics are my own. Only, I may not be American even second. It's somewhere like tenth on my list of affiliations.